Followers

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

How to Take Supplements Properly + Healthy Snacking

The following will clear up some confusion about how to take your multi-vitamin - compliments from the ladies at Naturally Savvy.

How to Take Supplements Properly
It should be every one's goal to derive most of our nutrients - vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber - from food. Supplements are a supplement to a good diet and are not meant to replace food. But the reality is, between our hectic schedules, less-than-satisfactory cafeteria options, and whatever other reasons we give for unhealthy food choices, modern agricultural practices have left our once mineral-rich soil depleted. Mineral depleted soil equals deficient vegetation and modern technology provides a solution to that problem - the nutritional supplement.

What is a nutritional supplement? It's an extracted nutrient - either natural or synthetic - that is bound together in a form that is easily (or sometimes not so easily!) swallowed. It is intended to supplement the diet with nutrients known to promote health such as vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, herbs, etc.

It's the non-nutritive ingredients that cause concern. According to the FDA, there are over 29,000 supplements on the market. With so many to choose from, many of us believe if we buy higher priced nutritional supplements we are getting better quality products. However, this is not always the case.

What to Look for
Capsules, not Tablets
Take with Food
When to Take Them
What are Excipients
Did You Know
Storage
For Vegetarians


Bonus Material for Today - Healthy Snacking!
The following list that will help you to organize your snacking based on the type of food sensation/ texture you are craving.

Healthy Snack List

Crunchy· apples
frozen grapes· rice cakes· light popcorn or plain popcorn: use coconut oil to pop in covered pan· One or two hard pretzels, the large Bavarian variety· carrots: particularly the super-sweet, organic baby carrots· crunchy crudités of veggies and dip (hummus, tabouli, vinaigrette, favorite dressing)· celery and peanut butter (use nonhydrogenated peanut butter) · hummus with whole grain toast, baby carrots, rice crackers· nuts

Sweet · fresh, whole fruit· yogurt and ripe fruit· apples and almond butter, nut butters· sprouted date bread with jam· frozen yogurt: freeze your own!· dried fruit, raisins and dark choc. chip mix
Kashi cereal · use leftover grains to make sweet porridge: drizzle maple syrup and sprinkle cinnamon, add soymilk and bananas, heat with fruit juice, etc.·

smoothies: mix whatever you have in the kitchen: fruit, ice, soymilk, yogurt, carob powder, etc.· fruit "ice cream": peel a banana, freeze, blend in a food processor with nuts, berries or raisins and serve; can be put through the screen of a juicer for a creamier consistency.· freshly squeezed fruit juices: Make your own and try different combos.·

Sweet vegetables: yams, sweet potatoes, squashes (acorn, butternut, kabocha) cut into chunks; sprinkle with cinnamon and bake. · organic dark chocolate chips or carob chips

Salty · olives· pickles and pickled vegetables, such as carrot, daikon, beets and lotus root· tabouli, hummus· oysters and sardines· steamed vegetables with tamari/shoyu or umeboshi vinegar· tortilla chips and salsa or guacamole: try whole grain chips such as "Garden of Eatin" brand and freshly made salsa or guacamole.· sauerkraut: it will also knock your sweet craving right out!· fresh lime or lemon juice as seasonings or in beverage· salted edamame

Creamy · smoothies· yogurt· avocados· rice pudding· dips and spreads, like hummus and baba ghanoush· purréed soups· puddings made with silken tofu, avocado or mashed banana· mashed sweet potatoes· coconut milk


Thought for the day

Today I will make a difference.

I will begin by controlling my thoughts. A person is the product of their thoughts. I want to be happy and hopeful. Therefore, I will have thoughts that are happy and hopeful. I refuse to be victimized by my circumstances. I will not let petty inconveniences such as stoplights, long lines, and traffic jams be my masters. I will avoid negativism and gossip. Optimism will be my companion, and victory will be my hallmark. Today I will make a difference.I will be grateful for the twenty-four hours that are before me. Time is a precious commodity. I refuse to allow what little time I have to be contaminated by self-pity, anxiety, or boredom. I will face this day with the joy of a child and the courage of a giant. I will drink each minute as though it is my last. When tomorrow comes, today will be gone forever. While it is here, I will use it for loving and giving. Today I will make a difference.I will not let past failures haunt me. Even though my life is scarred with mistakes, I refuse to rummage through my trash heap of failures. I will admit them. I will correct them. I will press on. Victoriously. No failure is fatal. It's OK to stumble - I will get up. It's OK to fail - I will rise again. Today I will make a difference.I will spend time with those I love. My spouse, my children, my family. A man can own the world but be poor for the lack of love. A man can own nothing and yet be wealthy in relationships. Today I will spend at least five minutes with the significant people in my world. Five quality minutes of talking or hugging or thanking or listening. Five undiluted minutes with my mate, children, and friends.Today I will make a difference. Max Lucado

No comments: